Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Greetings from good ole Casa Grande!

January 6, 2014

Sounds like all you kids have had a fun December!  Mine has been pretty crazy as well.  This last week went by really slow it seems.  A lot of crazy things have happened.

So remember how we hiked Picacho Peak last week?  Yeah.  Haha.  Well, missionaries aren't allowed to do that any more.  Oops!  Our Stake President took our zone to hike, and it was awesome!  Picacho Peak has a lot of crazy steep areas where you have to use steel cables to get up.  It was pretty cool.  It's a constant climb.  You go up and down and up and down and it's really steep.  My legs are still feeling it.  Anyway, at the end of the hike, I stayed back with the last group that was really slow. It was me and one of our zone leaders, and one of the missionaries I live with.  I have grown really close to them and we were just talking and with the Stake President, who was helping some of the sisters who were struggling.  We were the last group to return...so we thought.  We got back and had 3 sisters missing.  They were the first ones to leave the peak so we would have had to have passed them.  And the mountain is steep, so instantly every one was pretty worried.  They organized a couple groups all with phones and flashlights (at this point it was about 5:30, which is really dark in Casa Grande)and they took off up the mountain.  I was part of the big group that stayed behind.  But right before everyone left to go looking, I stopped everyone and said, "let's have a prayer first." So we all kneeled down right in the middle of the little street there and said a prayer.  Well, it didn't take long to find them.  turns out, there's a spot on the back of the mountain that splits into 3 trails.  One to go to the peak, one to quickly go to the bottom of the mountain, and one to return to the trailhead.  All really steep.  You're suppose to go with the trailhead, but the 3 sisters took the one to the bottom of the mountain.  After a while they felt like they were going the wrong way, so they said a prayer, and turned around and came back.  We found them pretty quickly.  Anyway, 2 sister didn't come on the hike. The sisters that weren't lost called them right as we started looking, so they called Presiden Toone to see what to do.  turns out we have an awesome President.  He wasn't mad, he was only concerned for safety.  The Zone Leaders talked to him later that night and he still wasn't mad, he was still just happy that everyone was ok.  But needless to say, missionaries are not to hike Picacho Peak for a while.

That was our crazy adventure.  Speaking of hiking, we are going to Casa Grande Mountain with Sherman Bishop today.  He wants to go pray away from the city, just like the Apostles did in the Bible.  so he suggested that we all fast and do that.  I'm really excited/nervous.  I have no idea what will happen.

Things are pretty strange here in Casa Grande, but we continue on.  Our area is really slow right now, and we got dropped by two investigators yesterday.  But, I know that getting discouraged won't help.  We have a work to do and I know that it is God's work.

I hope school goes well for all of you!  Trev, it's like getting to love new companheiros.  Just love them and serve them.  And Mom ir right, you'll be with Nat 99.57% of the time so don't even worry!

I love you all!!!  Good luck in all your many talents!!

Love, Elder Scott Jackson Taylor

P.S.  it's 2014, My only full year of missionary service.  Cool.  I'm excited!



More Picacho Peak.  See how it goes straight down?  It was so cool!




Picacho Peak 
That goes straight up.  You climb up using steel cables!



Tebowing on Picacho Peak!



Most of the Casa Grande Zone!
(The one with the beard is not a missionary! haha)

January 6, 2014

Dear all my friends, Ones from home and all my new mission friends. I just wanted to say how thankful I am for all of you. I love you all and am so grateful for all of your examples. I just wanted to leave you with my testimony to start this New Year. I know that as we start it right, with our Savior, we will see things happen in our lives that we never thought possible, and we will see happiness never before attained. 

I know that this is the work of God. I know that this church is not just a church, it is the way to live with our families and our Heavenly Father forever. This isn't just a religion, it's not just a church to follow, it is the kingdom of God, the one and only way to eternal happiness. I know that everything that our Lord has given us is to help us attain happiness and eternal life. I am so thankful to know that I can be with my family forever. I love my family so much. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

If you haven't had the chance yet, please watch the Mormon Message called "New Years: Look Not Behind Thee." It talks about how we can start this year right, and begin to really live the rest of our lives. I love you all.

Love, Elder Scott Jackson Taylor.




On top of Picacho Peak!



Turn this photo upside down.....YEP!



No comments:

Post a Comment