Thursday, February 6, 2014

Arizona, Arizona, I'm in love with you!

Oi Minha Familia!!                                Oct. 28, 2013

Ah. Eu tenho saudade por Portugues. I haven't been to Brazil yet, and I miss Portuguese, so I can't even imagine how Trev feels. Sounds like you are a busy bunch. All Having fun and such. Before we get to stories. Business. My address (for letters for now) I am in Casa Grande, Arizona. 

Elder Scott Jackson Taylor
351 N. Peart RD Apt. 1511
Casa Grande, AZ 85122-4282

Mission home (packages)

Elder Scott Jackson Taylor
Arizona Tempe Mission
1871 E. Del Rio Drive
Tempe, AZ 85282-2822

cool. My companheiro is Elder Cary Fenton. He is from Portland, Oregon. He is also District Leader. I don't know what it is about Oregonian District leaders but I can't get away from them. He has been out a year. He is 22 years old and was baptized at 19. He is a good worker, and knows a ton about the scriptures. 

I am serving in the Casa Grande 21st area. We cover the YSA branch and the Casa Grande 3rd ward. So remember that time where I wasn't planning on a bike or a car? yeah, I have both. The YSA branch is HUGE so we have a car. And my companion is not licensed to drive so guess who is driving? Yeah. The youngest Elder in the house. We have 2 other elders in our same apartment that cover the second ward. I am 18 and driving. Weird. 

It has been a really tough week, with a lot of peace lately. On my way to Arizona, I was so excited. But when I got here, I immediately felt like I didn't belong. Everytime I meet someone they ask where I'm from and see my nametag and think I speak Spanish. Every time someone hears I'm from Utah, They give the classic sigh as if what I say means nothing. Then I explain that I don't speak Spanish, it's Portuguese, and I'm a visa waiter, and they look at me like I just killed their mother. So I had a really hard time accepting that this is where I am. Not had. Having. It still sometimes just doesn't feel right.

Well, we have a lot of work to do with our ward. They are very complacent and don't much like to help the missionaries. And It all stems from our ward mission leader. Direct quote "just go do what you do. The less I know, the better, because the less I have to report to the bishop." Yep. Sadly, he went to Brazil. When he heard that I am going to Brazil, he proceeded to tell me all the things that are awful about Brazil. He went on kind of a rant. So there's our ward for you. Which has 0 investigators. 

The YSA branch has 1 progressing. Her name is Breanna. She is a very cute girl and is very strong in her testimony. But, (there's always a but.) Her parents don't know that she meets with the missionaries. They are very against the church and so she is having a hard time being baptized without them. She wants to tell them but is scared. Our other kind of investigator was on date for baptism, and her dad is a lawyer, and extremely anti-mormon. He belittles her and showed her a bunch of youtube videos on the temple. yep. Ones where people hid their camera under their chair. and make everything look waaaaaaaaaaay out of context. So we have no idea what to do there.

But the work continues. We have a great work ahead of us. So I ask for your prayers. Please, that I will be able to continue to work and know that this is where I am meant to be. I love you all. Thank you for your love and support. It means the world.


Love, Elder Scott Jackson Taylor

President and Sister Toone




No comments:

Post a Comment